On July 11, 2015 the WooFDriver and his crew took the WooFPAK on an exciting Midnight Mushing Tour of the Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike! The Pennsylvania Turnpike opened in 1940 and was known as the ‘Tunnel Highway’ because of its seven tunnels, one tunnel through each mountain. The tunnels were originally constructed for the South Pennsylvania Railroad, this reduced travel through each tunnel to single lane traffic in both directions. Due to congestion from the tunnels, in 1968 a new 13 mile stretch of Turnpike was constructed to bypass some of the ‘Tunnel Highway’.
At least four men were killed during the construction of the tunnels. In the August of 1939 while digging in Laurel Hill the roof collapsed bringing down a 14 ton boulder that killed three instantly. The fourth was pinned under the boulder by the arm. His arm was amputated and he later died in the ambulance headed to the hospital.
Several local paranormal investigators frequent these tunnels. Some have rocks thrown at them, others come out of the tunnels with scratches and bruises!
www.pennlive.com to learn more about the abandoned turnpike
Wikipedia’s Webpage another great resource